Sunday, September 11, 2011

After Catal

During the summer I have bee in Catal Huyuk excavating for a couple of weeks and doing some new test, in this occasion I combined computer vision techniques (photoscan) and Total Station. The experiment was very successful because for the first time in my "field experience" I had the chance to generate a scaled and High Resolute 3D model of the excavation every day !!! every evening I had the full documentation ready in HQ and (more important) a 3D model to brainstorm the situation etc. It was very exiting, but more important this experiment open to new questions about archaeological methods and excavation strategy... I think this technique is going to have an important role in the future excavations, but the only technique is absolutely not enough, now we need to figure it out how to use this new kind of data in a large scale and more important what are the possibilities for a better comprehension of the stratigrapy. Before Catal I did some experiment in Uppakra, together with Matteo Dellepiane (ISTI) and Marco Callieri (ISTI) we will present these preliminary results to the International Symposium on Virtual Reality, Archaeology and Cultural Heritage, VAST 2011, www.vast-conference.eu/ soon the article will be available on my academia.edu profile : Documentation and Interpretation of an Archeological Excavation: an experience with Dense Stereo Reconstruction tools

No comments:

Post a Comment